Art Journals for scrapbookers?
We're adding a fun new workshop style class to the Remember When calendar.
And it's a calendar!
I know you've seen art journals, they're all over Pinterest. And if you've ever looked through an art journaling tutorial book or magazine, I'm sure you've been bowled over by the bold use of color and pattern.
But then you wrote it off as something only artists do, right?
Either that or you attempted a journal. You poured your heart out onto the pages... and it ended up looking, like... well, not exactly what you'd dreamed of, eh?
Yeah, I've been there and done that too.
But you know what? Art journaling doesn't need to be complicated!
What if you worked from a kit?
What if the color came in the form of beautiful scrapbooking papers?
What if the lettering was easy, like rub-ons and image transfers?
What if you had a place to work, surrounded by beginners just like yourself, with an instructor who shows you how to avoid the process pitfalls?
Dare yourself to journal, because you can do this!
I'll be posting project pics later this week, just as soon as I have the class scrapbooking papers.
But I want you to see where we're going.
Calendare! classes are based on Kate's idea but I'm switching a few things up:
- Calendars are an easy base idea for themes. No more sitting at your craft table seaching for great ideas, no subscribing to journal prompt emails which end up being dumb things like "draw a happy hippo today" or "I love shoes!". Kate's a genius for giving us the month as a prompt!
- I'm not going to leave you hanging with lots of choices. We'll work from a class kit full of goodies. Use as many or as few of the pieces as you want!
- Ever had a color palette turn to mud on you? Not only will I set the color palette, I'll show you why it works! No intimidation of failure, our colors will work!
- I'm ditching the 30 squares format into something a little more flexible. We'll have larger areas for either more text or more doodles. While I love Kate's 30 squares, I know me and I know I'll never write something every single day! And all those empty squares would poke little holes in my ego "Hey, look at what else you DIDN'T get done today!" No one needs that kind of pressure!
- And yes, the kit will have all the graphics and papers that you need to decorate that month's page, but you can definitely throw stuff from your craft stash into the mix! The point isn't to duplicate my project, it's to begin expressing yourself. The best way to do that is to include personal things and embellishments that you love!
Shannon and I are working on the supply kit now.
I'll post that on the website soon. But here are the primary tools we'll be using (besides the monthly kit):
Dylusion's Creative Journal (large), Izink Pigment Inks, Soft Gel Medium (matte or satin finish).
These are three fun and easy to use products which we have on order. Both "Calendare!" and "Twelve Pages" classes will work with the same basic materials each month which will help to stretch your craft budget!
Calendare! Classes will be held on the LAST Thursday of EVERY month from 6-8:00pm. Unless we have a holiday in the way.
Because I want to get you started early, we'll hold a special first session on Wednesday, Sept 30th from 6-8:00pm.
Call Shannon at Remember When to RSVP! 586.598.1810
Take the Dare, take the class! C'mon, it'll be fun!